|CONGRESS EXPRESSES SOLIDARITY WITH ISRAEL
Continued... pg. 2
|(3) Condemns the recent wave of Palestinian suicide bombers;
(4) Condemns the ongoing support and cordination of terror by Yasser Arafat and other members of the Palestinian leadership;
(5) Demands that the Palestinian Authority at last fulfill its commitment to dismantle the terrorist infrastructure in the Pales-tinian areas, including any such infrastructure associated with the PLO and the Palestinian Authority entities tied directly to Yasser Arafat;
(6) Is gravely concerned that Arafat's actions are not those of a viable partner of peace;
(7) Urges all Arab States to declare their unqualified opposition to all forms of terrorism, particularly suicide bombing;
(8) Commends the President for his leadership in addressing the Israel-Palestinian conflict, particularly the efforts of the administration to engage countries throughout the region to condemn and prevent terrorism and to prevent a widening of the conflict; and
(9) Urges all parties in the region to pursue vigorously efforts to establish a just, lasting, and comprehensive peace in the Middle East.
5/2/2002: Amendment SA 3389 agreed to in Senate by Yea-Nay Vote. 94-2.
Record Vote Number: 102.
SA 3389. Mr. REED (for Mr. LIEBERMAN (for himself, Mr. DASCHLE, Mr. SMITH of Oregon, Mr. ALLARD, Mr. BROWNBACK, Mr. BUNNING, Mrs. CARNAHAN, Mr. CLELAND, Mrs. CLINTON, Ms. COLLINS, Mr. DEWINE, Mr. HATCH, Mr. KYL, Mr. MCCONNELL, Mr. SANTORUM, Mr. SMITH of New Hampshire, Mr. STEVENS, Mr. WAGNER, Mr. BAUCUS, Mrs. BOXER, Mr. WYDEN, Mr. CORZINE, Mr. DERBIN, Mr. GRAHAM, Ms. LANDRIEU, Mr. HARKIN, Mr. JOHNSON, Mrs. MURRAY, Mrs. LINCOLN, Mr. NELSON of Florida, Ms. MIKULSKI, Mr. REED, Mr. SCHUMER, Mr. HUTCHINSON, Mr. GRASSLEY, Mr. CAMPBELL, Mr. VOINOVICH, Mr. MURKOWSKI, Mr. ALLEN, Ms. SNOWE, Mr. THURMOND, Mr. NICKLES, Mr. MCCAIN, Mr. KERRY, Mr. BAYH, Mr. BENNETT, Mr. BOND, Mr. BREAUX, Mr. CRAPO, Mr. DODD, Mr. DORGAN, Mr. FEINGOLD, Mrs. FEINSTEIN, and Mr. FITZGERALD) purposed an amendment to amendment SA 3386 purposed by Mr. Daschle to the bill (H.R. 3009) supra; which was considered and agreed to.
At the appropriate place, insert the following new section:
SEC. ____. EXPRESSING SOLIDARITY WITH ISRAEL IN ITS FIGHT AGAINST TERRORISM.
(a) FINDINGS. --Congress makes the following findings:
(1) The United States and Israel are now engaged in a common struggle against terrorism and are on the frontlines of a conflict thrust upon them against their will.
(2) President George W. Bush declared on November 21, 2001, "We fight the terrorist and we fight all of those who give them aid. America has a message for the nations of the world: If you harbor terrorists, you are terrorists. If you train or arm a terrorist, you are a terrorist. If you feed a terrorist or fund a terrorist, you are a terrorist, and you will be held accountable by the United States and our friends."
(3) The United States has committed to provide resources to states on the frontline in the war on terrorism.
(b) SENSE OF CONGRESS. -- The Congress --
(1) stands in solidarity with Israel, a frontline state in the war against terrorism, as it takes necessary steps to provide security to its people by dismantling the terrorist infrastructure in the Palestinian areas;
(2) remains committed to Israel's right to self-defense;
(3) will continue to assist Israel in strengthening its homeland defenses;
(4) condemns Palestinian suicide bombers;
(5) demands that the Palestinian Authority fulfill its commitment to dismantle the terrorist infrastructure in the Palestinian areas;
(6) urges all Arab States, particularly the United States Allies, Egypt and Saudi Arabia, to declare their unqualified opposition to all forms of terrorism, particularly suicide bombings, and to act in concert with the United States to stop the violence; and
(7) urges all parties in the region to pursue vigorously efforts to establish a just, lasting, and comprehensive peace in the Middle East.